Engineer Principal Structural
Radford, VA 24141 US
- Perform project engineering working in a multi-discipline engineering team to plan, design, construct, and maintain chemical plant facilities including supporting utilities and infrastructure.
- Select construction materials and methods, create engineering estimates, write specifications and scopes of work, create and supervise the preparation of civil, structural, and architectural drawings, control cost, and manage work to meet project schedules.
- Perform structural design and analysis for bridges, tunnels, structural steel buildings, reinforced concrete buildings and structures, pipe supports, and foundation systems.
- Perform civil engineering design and analysis for piping networks (water distribution systems and sprinkler systems), sewer system layouts and hydraulics, pumping systems, water and waste water treatment systems, road and railroad layouts, including grade, alignment, and drainage, containment, diversion, and treatment systems for pollution abatement.
- Conduct inspections of existing facilities such as buildings, tank farms, tunnels, roads, railroads, bridges, pipe bridges, and pipelines to determine the integrity and safety of the structure.
- Determine root cause of structural or system failures and recommend corrective action.
- Oversee mapping and surveying functions which involve layout of new facilities and maintenance of records of site plans, plant layouts, and aboveground and underground utilities.
- Provide technical oversight during construction including shop drawing review and approval, ensure construction is in accordance with plans, specifications, and good construction practices.
- Typically 6+ years experience in industrial design and construction, with an emphasis in structural engineering
- Proficient knowledge of CADD tools (AutoCAD, Revit, Visual Analysis, STAAD/RAM, etc.) for efficient production of engineering work
- Working knowledge of applicable codes and standards such as IBC, ASCE 7, ACI, and AISC
- Ability to meet required deadlines while simultaneously completing other tasks
- Ability to direct design teams and external design firms
- Review and approve design packages from equipment suppliers and design firms providing constructability input
- Ability to interface with site operations and maintenance teams
- Capable of creating required engineering documentation using
- Microsoft Office Suite products including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Project, and Access
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited university (essential) ideally with an emphasis in structural engineering
- Health Insurance
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
Meet Your Recruiter
Joining HEPCO in July 2022, Shandi enjoys her role as a recruiter, where she can learn more about the candidate and develop a good rapport with them during the pre-screening period. During this process, she appreciates the chance to learn more about the particulars of various jobs her candidates are qualified for. In addition, Shandi enjoys cooking her favorite meals and trying out new recipes in her free time.